Monday, March 5, 2018

Genre & Target Audience

      Crime drama is a genre that deals with law enforcement, crimes, criminals and their motives. Types of crime that are typically displayed in crime dramas are gun crime, prostitution, rape, fraud, knife crime, drug related crime, murder, blackmail, and robbery and theft. Films within this genre appeal to audience by dealing with issues and problems the audience is aware of through engagement with current news and worldwide affairs.
      During my research today in class, I concluded the target audience for crime dramas is middle to upper class men ages 40-70. Middle to upper class men are less likely to participate in crime and are more likely to side with law enforcement, therefore this was chosen as the social class for my target audience. Also, men from ages 40-70 are more interested in the topics discussed in these films, especially retired or current members of law enforcement, so this age range was chosen for my target audience. Usually, in a crime drama, a male is the leading role and in charge. Men enjoy watching crime dramas especially in this case because of the powerful way they are being represented. The British Board of Film Classification created certain classifications to indicate what is appropriate for the audience, typically rating crime dramas age 15 and up for viewing. This is due to the taboo topics usually discussed in crime dramas like shooting, killing, drugs, sex, and prostitution.
      Also, I talked to my dad today about him possibly being the main character in my film opening and he happily said yes! I feel so happy to finally be coming up with ideas for my portfolio project and plan to have my ideas set in stone by the end of this week! I want to start filming as soon as possible so I have time to edit my film opening until it is perfect and have lots of time for my creative critical reflection.


Perks, Whitney. “My Media Work.” 2010, 1 Jan. 1970, jammydodgers91.blogspot.com/2010/.

“ .” Crime Drama Research -  , kawalmedia.weebly.com/crime-drama-research.html.

prezi.com/84mlnnznudwq/the-target-audience-for-crime-thrillers/.


No comments:

Post a Comment