Sunday, April 8, 2018

Why did I chose my genre?

      I have been asked by my class mates and friends many times why I chose the genre of crime drama for my film opening. I chose this genre because I am passionate about the topics discussed within this genre. My father works in law enforcement, so I have been surrounded by situations like this my whole life. I have grown up around police officers who have become family, some who have even been killed in the line of duty. Situations like this have especially made me passionate about supporting law enforcement and defending them when others look down upon them. Charlie Scavuzzo was an uncle to me, he was the father of my best friend, a friend to my father, and the Captain of the St. Lucie County Sherriffs Office. Charlie passed away this past September. It was unbelievably beautiful how not only the Sherriffs Office, but police officers from around the country came together in mourning of Charlie. Police officers from Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Maine, and New York came together as a family in the passing of Captain Charlie Scavuzzo. Witnessing this was heart wrenching, but amazing and beautiful. Sergeant Gary Morles, another police officer for the St. Lucie County Sherriffs Office, and another friend to my father, was shot and killed during a routine traffic stop for speeding. Again, the Sherriffs Office came together as one. I realize the hard work and dedication law enforcement puts into their jobs, and I believe they deserve the utmost respect for their work. The stories my father has told me since I was a young child of what happens at work have interested me since I can rememeber. So, when hearing about the portfolio project in the beginning of the school year, the genre of crime dramas automatically came to mind. I was lucky enough to use a real member of law enforcement, my father, Detective Andrew Bolonka, in my film opening! I believe your best work is produced when you are passionate about the topic, therefore, choosing to work with a crime drama was the best decision for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment